Thursday, September 3, 2009

Dirty Hotel Secrets: Part 2

****Reminder, I live in Mexico but work in Texas, the hotels I talk about are in the U.S.A.*****

Breakfast. Continental plus hot waffles! Yum!? No. Just no, just. Don't.

Some of you probably already know that hotel breakfast food isn't exactly gourmet and won't be surprised when I tell you that it's not from some fancy catering business but strait from Sams Club, Walmart and HEB. It most likely won't surprise you much to know that everything is generic - no general mills here - and that all of the juice comes concentrated out of a can. No big deal there really, it's the details that get scary.

My boss's are cheap, REEEEAAALLLLLYYY cheap and they refuse to let anything go to waste. They demand that any bread not eaten this morning be put back into it's bread bag and put out tomorrow. I guess that's not so horrifying but it would be nice if they would provide us with gloves to handle the same bread day in and day out, and it would be REALLY nice if they would repair the sneeze guard on the bread serving tray. It sits out there in the open air all morning to face god knows what and then they want me to pick it up and put it back in it's bag for another day. When I'm on duty and nobody's looking I throw out the uneaten bread in secret but I've never seen anybody else do it.

Milk. The milk situation is just as gross to me. They have us pour milk out into a carafe each morning and fill it up as it empties, but anything left in the carafe at the end of the morning is supposed to be poured BACK IN the milk jug for another day. I don't know, there's just something about it sitting out and then hitting the air when we pour it back in, and out, and in it just seems wrong to me.

The really bad part is when other people do breakfast for a while and they don't bother to pour it back in the jug and actually wash the carafe. They'll just leave the old milk in the carafe and pop it in the refrigerator. This isn't so horrible until they've done it for a week, just adding new milk to old milk over and over. And then someone else on duty might pour all of this old/new milk back in a milk jug (with other clean new milk) so they can wash the carafe. Old milk just seems to keep journeying on forever. When I'm on duty I just pour it all down the sink and start fresh. The owners would pass out if they knew but at least I can sleep at night.

The most frightening part of all is the water that's used. Here in this part of TX the water is actually proven unsafe to drink. You know all of those commercials that go on about how tap water is the same exact thing as bottled, just cheaper and easier on the environment? Yeah, those don't apply here. The last time they tested our water in this county they came up with all sorts of poisons and toxins not only high in limits but OVER federal limits.

What water do you suppose goes into making all of our mornings orange juice? Apple Juice? The same water that makes all of the ice in the ice makers, the same water that comes out of your shower and out of the drinking fountains. And don't forget the coffee!! I make at least 8 pots of death coffee a day. Maybe the coffee isn't as horrible because the water is boiled, but still, it just doesn't matter.

My boss has actually TOLD me not to drink the water here. She asked me if I was getting enough water now that I'm pregnant but wanted to make sure too, that I wasn't drinking the hotel water. I asked, "Is it not safe?" and she replied "Oh NOO, you can't drink the water here, no, only bottled." Um.... so.... the orange juice? Hell-O !!!!


Last for today is the advertised HOT WAFFLES! The mix of course comes from a bag, is used making the poison water and any left over at the end of the morning is poured back into the original mix bucket just to have more dry and more water added to it daily to keep it full. It went so long when I first started working here that it began to smell rotten and someone complained. Since then I've got brave and started throwing things away in secret. I've pitched the scary mix as much as possible - but not enough so that I'd want to eat it.

Hungry? Me neither, I bring all of my food and water to work with me and thank God for the vending machines when I forget.

11 comments:

jenny said...

ew.

Just, ew.

On Mexican Time said...

OMG - I think I just puked in my mouth... NASTY

Crystal said...

What part of Texas is this? So I will make sure we do not stay there when we go to Mexico....Good thing I have always slept too late to get the breakfast.

Upstate Broad said...

BWAAAAHAAAAAHAAA! I know this is all very gross, and I shouldn't be amused, but you have to understand that the Big Guy travels for his job ALL THE TIME. At least 1 week a month he's in some hotel somewhere, and he's always been very proud of how he saves the government money by staying in hotels that offer complimentary breakfast. You'd better believe that I read today's post out loud to him. I think he'll be sticking with hard-boiled eggs from here on. Given his rich experience with hotels, he has one question: your bosses aren't by any chance Indian or Pakistani, are they? Not that we want to be racist, but he's had many experiences with the sort of franchise owners who cut corners...

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Crystal - Right across the border from Reynosa, Mx. But it's not just here, the housekeepers that have worked lots of hotels tell me it's everywhere. Yeeesh.

Upstate - Did you read to him the dirty hotel secrets part 1??? It's worse you HAVE to show him ! And um... omg, yes he is right about the owners, they came from India (but like 20 years ago), they're part of this HUGE family name that ownes hotels all over from florida to california. Poor husband, bless him and his saving gov. money, tell the man thank you but it's ok, the taxes have to go SOMEwhere. :P

Sunshine said...

Those Indians have so much damn money...and I cant believe they run hotels like that....geez! I guess they still live like they did in India!

Blogget Jones said...

Whoa, my gosh. My folks always make the "free breakfast" thing a priority. I don't think I'll tag along....

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

I always did TOO ! :P Dag gummit.

~ellen~ said...

Ew! Eeeeewwwwww! I may never eat breakfast again ANYWHERE.

I knew about the hotel bedspreads/blankets thing (I used to work in a hotel) but our hotel didn't have breakfast, so this awfulness is news to me.

EW.

Suki said...

Whoah, that kinda made me puke in my mouth.

@Sunshine: In India, where I live, we're FAR FAR cleaner than this!! Well, in my defence I'm a city girl, but in the villages there isn't exactly enough food to be left to spoil. And no refrigerators, so no way to use stuff for weeks on end. There may be mud in the food from unwashed hands, but it sure as hell won't be rotten!

And do think again before classifying a one-billion strong nation as dirty.

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Yes, sorry Suki! I don't think we meant to go all bat shit on Indians - I apologize for where that convo went! :)