Thursday, September 3, 2009

I was driving one day to pick C. up from work and I saw a bread truck with the cartoon picture of a little black boy with a huge afro. It was advertising a snack cake they have here called - Negritos ! Little black boy with an afro and they call it NEGRITO!!?? AAAHHHH!!!!!! I'm sorry, bwwwaaahahahahahaha ! I have an idea the makers of this company have never been to the Bronx.

When I flew back home to visit I brought a bag full so I could hand them out to my friends and family. I was rewarded for my *giggle* generosity because when I bought them I finally saw exactly WHAT the product is. It's A CHOCOLATE LONG JHON! EEEEEEEE!!!!! SQUEEEE I just love it !! But *ahem* excuse me, they also make chocolate milk. Black men advertising chocolate long jhons and chocolate milk? Am I the only 12 year old boy trapped in a womans body here!? Haaaahhhahaahaha I can't help it!

If you look close you can see the name of the company - BIMBO. I remember seeing Bimbo bread back home with Chino in a Mexican store and laughing my ass off. I freaked out right in the store - "OH my GAWD that bread is called BIMBO!!" He had never heard the slang word "bimbo" so he thought I was just having another weird white girl crazy moment. Try explaining what Bimbo means to someone who also doesn't know the word "tramp," "ditzy," "slutty" or knows who Pam Anderson or Jenny McCarthy are. It's damn hard ok? Especially in a grocery store staring at the bread isle. :P

When I googled the Negrito cake I came across their OLD logo. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to laugh at this one but I'm glad they changed it. Cuz damn. Sometimes Mexico can be fun I guess. They have a lot more fun than we do with our Twinkies :P God bless us all (and bring on the snack cakes!)

11 comments:

jeremy said...

how dare you make fun of jenny mccarthy when she's got a retarded for a baby?!?!?

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Cuz my brother is the same thing so I'm allowed. HA! LOOPHOLE BEEOTCH!

Krissie said...

LOL Yeah, there's Hungarian hard candy called Negro, too. It's black. Hahaha. Well, what you gonna do, it's what the word MEANS, insulting or not.

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

HARD candy!!?? OH you feed my inner boy, you be the best! :P

Sunshine said...

Negro is black in spanish....so thus the the negritos....but to have a kid with a fro for advertise....WOW! I've seen that too! And BIMBO bread...haaaaaaaaaa.
It's just wrong.....ok..i have an idea...light bulb moment.....what can we make up that is American that makes fun of mexicoish things? KWIM?
Like ummmmm do we even have anything close? Stewing on this one....here!

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Sunshine - I'm blank, that's sad. But maybe a good thing, I've been riding the racist line a tad close this week anyways with the racial slurs and now negritos :P But don't hesitate to tell me if you think of some !! :)

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Hilary - I'll tell you everything I know, no problem! I'm not the most knowledgeable on all thing CORRECT but I can give you my experience and also point you to some smarter gals here in blogland. I'm going to erase your comment so the world won't see your e-mail address (web crawlers will come and find it and send you WHO KNOWS what!) so don't be shocked to see your comments gone! :) I've got your e-mail and I'll send something right away. :)

Upstate Broad said...

Surely you can find one air-headed character on a tele-novella to help him understand what a bimbo is?

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

The thing is the air-headed bimbos are REVERED here so it's hard to explain the distaste part. BUT you're right, somewhere on freaking Telemundo there has to be something. WE would label thier WEATHER girls bimbos but sexy weather is the thing here I guess. Tramps.

Fishsticks and Fireflies said...

That is too freakin' funny! Maybe their next product should be Cracker Crackers - boring and white.

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

F&F and hey it's hot here so they can at least be salty. :P