Tuesday, September 1, 2009

What Is A Beaner? Fun with Racial Slurs

I noticed on sitemeter that someone was led to my site through this google search. -

"If my child is called "gringa" at school should she be offended?"

And I wanted to help this person out. I'm thinking - No. And if you're REALLY worried just instruct your daughter to call the other person a beaner, and that should fix everything.

:P Chino and I were actually talking about the beaner word last night, he said it for some reason and I asked -

"What does beaner really mean anyways?"

"Dat we eat beans."

"Everybody eats beans here."

"Dats why dey call us dat."

"I eat beans. I just ate beans for dinner." "Oh! Am I a beaner?"

"Jayys."

"And I have a baby bean!"

"Jayys."

"Who knew!?"

And off I went in my newly found beaner state to listen to Barry Manilow. (ok so I don't listen to Manilow but I couldn't think of anything white-er"

Honestly I don't KNOW what a bad word for white people or Americans is here in Mexico or Texas. I know there are some cuz I asked C. one time and he told me but I can't remember what they were. So much for an expose' here. I think it's funny though because when we first met we had a convo like this and HE actually didn't know any racial slurs for Mexicans. (except beaner) He wanted to know so I told him and his reaction to "Wetback" was that it just made sense and he thought it was as funny as beaner. He was expecting to be called stupid or ugly, but Americans just aren't that creative. :P

One of them he's never got a handle on is "Spic." I have no CLUE what it means so I'm no help and when he came home from work one day and said he asked his friend what "SPIKE" (notice the different spelling cuz that's how he said it) meant, I really had to laugh.

I'm glad we're both pretty ignorant in this area. It means that people aren't running amok throwing racial slurs at us all the time, and that's cool by me. Well, either that or they are and we're both too dim to understand, but hey, I'm ok with that too, we're happy people.

Some people really get fired up about this subject but why? If more people didn't give a shit (or were dim like me) then maybe it'd die down and eventually sort of go away. I imagine it has a lot to do with the way a person is raised. In my family I had an "uncle," that wasn't a real uncle but you know, like, honorary. He was 100% Italian and he LOVED to tell his joke about being a dego-billy. Dego is a bad word for Italians (once again, no idea why - maybe I'm not cultured?) and he was a hillbilly and well. . he just thought it was damn funny and so that's what my Dad called him and it just wasn't a big deal.


Fast forward 18 years later to a job where I worked with an Italian farmer and WWOWW what a different attitude I found there! He was a really decent laid back funny guy but it was a known fact somehow in our office that if he was around, Italian jokes and Italian slurs where FORBIDDEN. We didn't exactly stand around telling Italian jokes but we liked this customer a lot and he had a krazy reputation for going bonkers and punching people for the use of the word "Wop." so we were extra careful. Thank God I never told him about my uncle.

SO !! Mom out there googling for your daughter? Do us all a favor and stop searching to see if she SHOULD be offended and teach the girl some tolerance. Or she might end up punching a lot of Mexicans (and they might throw beans at her!)










11 comments:

Upstate Broad said...

I have no idea if this is true or the complete story, but when I moved from upstate NY (hence Upstate Broad) to NYC, I was told that SPIC is actually an acronym for Spanish-Puerto Rican-Indian-Chinese. All purpose racism. It always seemed to me it should have been SPRIC, but it's not a word I would ever use anyway, so that's somebody else's fight.

It's fairly well known that WOP comes from Immigration officials at Ellis Island. Italian immigrants would arrive without any sort of identification or documents at all, so WOP is another anagram meaning WithOut Papers.

Yes, I am the Queen of Useless Trivia. Just in case you were wondering.

jenny said...

when I lived in DC, Me and a group of white friends walked thru town near H street and a group of black kids started calling us "crackers" and yelling at us to get off their turf etc etc.. We picked up the pace and headed to the busiest place we knew, Union Stations and they stopped following us. It was the first time someone called me a cracker and I didn't think it was that much of an insult. lol We were more nervous by the fact that there were more people in their group than our little number of 4 or 5.

Personally, I could care less what people call me.

( I thought spic was short for hispanic)

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Upstate - with out papers ! OOOOHHHHHH well that makes sense! Ok what's up with racial slurs being acronyms and obvious statements. I'm gonna start calling C. a wop. :P I love your trivia! That's interesting stuff, you should chime in more often and be my Mr. Wilson. :P

Jenny - lol you cracker you! If I'm a cracker then I'm a RITZ cuz they're buttery and butter is good. :P And yummy :P Abrev. for Hispanic? Sounds good to me, hell who knows. I could google it but. . . nah.

Upstate Broad said...

I mentioned this to my Big Guy, a real history buff, and he informs me that while SPIC is an acronym, it actually stands for Spanish, Portugese, Indian and Colored. Gotta love that last one. At least the first three are valid descriptions.

Sunshine said...

ok...have you seen that kiosk in the mall here in reynosa...i think it's called charo-king! Or something of the sort...they have a t-shirt with this on the front!
Get ready for this one.....ok...here it goes......
PINK CHEESE
GREEN GOES

Now have your hubby read that....and he will either laugh out loud or look bugged eyed

I love that shirt
Then they have this one...looks like a CoCa CoLa shirt
and it says:
Come CaCa! Oh...i see!
So yeah you got a Beana in your belly! lol
And i got dos beano's en mi casa!
lol

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Upstate - you and your hubby sound like cool interesting people to hang out with ! (like for real though not being an ass or anything) Colored!?? Oh my my that's just grand. And GEEZ what a big ole group!

Sunshine - say what? I'm lost on the OHHHHHHHH I was going to type that I didn't get it and then I said it out loud !! AHAHAHAHAHH NO WAY !! :P That's too much ! Omg they HAVE it here in the Mall? BWAAAHAHHAAHA !!! It's going to take me a minute to get the coke shirt (im a little slow!) but I'll think on it and hopefuly get it :P

JJ said...

Okay, yeah. The original question irritates me. And is reason number 413 why I am childless. Who is this mother to decide what does and doesn't offend her kid? It's like she's pondering it, thinking, hmmm, I'm not smart enough to figure this out on my own, so I wonder what everybody else thinks. I wonder if there is some link to a "-harassment" that I can pin to this and maybe make me some cash. I wonder who could tell me this... I know! I'll ask the internet! God, people. Come on. If you have to ask someone if something offends you, then it PROBABLY DOESN'T OFFEND YOU.

I'm with you, Gringa. Ignore the insanity and it will go away. If people weren't so flipping uptight things would be a lot easier around here...

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

JJ - HHHORRAHH !!! LOVE your mini rant! :P But for real ! Don't go searching for hate ! Isn't there a Black Eyed Peas song about this somewhere???? :P

JJ said...

Gringa - Don't get me started on the Black Eyed Peas and that terrifying Fergie...

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

JJ- omg true right? ? I know I'm supposed to love them.. but, well, nevermind.

Ritamg said...

Here are the things I have been called:

Guera
Anglo
Bolilla (reference to 'white bread')