Sunday, September 6, 2009

When the Scary Shit Hits Home

Chinos Brother and Nephew were kidnapped by a drug cartel. His brother was kidnapped two weeks ago and the nephew 8 days ago and the family just now told us because they were too afraid to say something because I'm pregnant and they think I'm delicate. I'm fine but I can't for the life of me imagine what it's like for Chino and his Dad and his Brother and Nephew.

The most insane part about this whole thing is that Chinos family lives in Texas, they were kidnapped in Texas.

Chino and I have told each other and my family that nothing will happen to us as long as we keep our noses clean and stay away from anything drug related. We figure they won't mess with us if we don't have anything to DO with them and their stuff. Chinos brother and Nephew don't do drugs though and they surely don't have anything to do with them - BUT - another brother lent his car to his brother in-law who said he was going to use it to take his kids to the doctor and ended up stealing drugs from a cartel with it. (omg right?) So when the cartel came after the brother-in-law who stole the drugs he said "Oh no, not me, the guy who OWNS the truck has them." SO, the cartel started kidnapping the truck owning brothers family and told him they would continue to do so until he gave them back. (sorry about all the brothers and screwy explanation but it's strange and extended)

The whole dang family is in protection now and the kidnapped men have called twice now to give the threats and ultimatums from the Cartel.

AND THIS IS NOT A BIG NEWS STORY HERE! For real, there was one blurb in the newspaper about the nephew being dragged into a van by masked men (witnessed by his family and co-workers right on the street) and that's it, it was printed 4 days ago and that's the end of it.

I heard that kidnappings happen a lot by the cartels here and on the Tx side of the border but I refused to admit that it can happen to innocent people.

Chino is all devastated and scared because they stole the nephew right from his Dads arms and now his Dad won't eat. And I'm a useless moron and don't know what to do for him so I just keep cooking and overfeeding him.

We don't think that we are in much danger ourselves, we're a tad off the family map as far as that side goes, Chino hasn't seen them in over 5 years. He used to live with them in Tx, he was raised by his brother with the nephew that was taken. When he came up to Michigan to live he didn't go home to visit and then after he was deported he couldn't, so he and I aren't a familiar presence and right now, luckily so. In any case we're still keeping things locked up here for the time being.

I just can't believe it.

13 comments:

JJ said...

Holy shit. Seriously? I mean, holy shit. This is huge. This is terrifyingly, way-to-close-to-home gigantic. Clearly I don't know how to process it either because all I can say is how huge this is. Throwing out big positive thoughts your way and to your man, and his family, and to the brother and nephew... I really don't know what to say. Except, you know, this is huge.

Krissie said...

WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK???!

This is so beyond my comprehension that I cannot even begin to come up with something to say.

So people get kidnapped a lot, but they return?!

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

JJ and Krissie - I feel the same way, it's just nuts right? It's just rediculous.

~ellen~ said...

Oh wow. I don't know what to say either. It's so awful, I can't even imagine.

I'm so sorry.

jenny said...

I want to tell you to get your preggo ass up here, like pronto! The last thing you need is to be kidnapped yourself. OMG!! I'm sorry this happened to Chino's family, but fuck!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep a careful eye out for ANYTHING that looks even remotely suspicious!!

Thinking of you and the fam.. xoxo

Sunshine said...

To hear the hubs explain this craziness here is this: When plp do things they shouldnt...then bad things can happen. Oh REALLY! So he says one must always stay on the up and up! And communication is key! Really!
Hubs...can you explain a little more....no sunshine...that's how it is!
WHAT?
It's like a whole other world down here....plp just take things into their own hands....literally!
But honestly...from what i can make out...which is very little! lol
When you do someone wrong....the shit comes back to you....so im not sure what these fellows have been up to...but it's sounds like a bunch of NO GOOD!
Hang in their prego's praying for God's protection...you will be fine!
Im here for ya!

Upstate Broad said...

When you say the rest of the family is in protection, whose protection do you mean? Because I don't mean to be crass, but I can't help wondering if the Feds are involved, could that protection be extended to the 2 of you as well, and they could maybe cut some deal with Immigration to get Chino back into the country for his protection, and you with him. Just a thought. And I know that deals like that are how the law enforcement world goes around...

Crystal said...

Upstate is so right about being able to get Chino back to the US because of the protection thing. I know they have something called TPS (Temporary protected Status) How old was the cousin? That is really sad. I will be praying that everything goes okay.

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Ellen and Jenny, thank you, and Jenny I know what you mean but we're hanging in there.

Upstate - honestly? I don't know, the whole thing is kinda secretive - which makes sense I guess. And hell, if C. coming back isn't permanent then I don't want to deal with it - that might sound rediculous and stupid but we've got a house and jobs and lives here, I don't want to start all over unless it's for keeps. BUT thank you for the suggestion, and if anything gets scary on this side of the border with his family then yeah, we would ask for protection too.

Crystal, the cousin is 21, he and Chino grew up like brothers being raised BY Chinos brother. He's a good kid, ROTC, smart, on the right side of the tracks.

Fishsticks and Fireflies said...

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry to hear this. I hope that things turn out well, that everyone is okay, and that you and Chino are left out of it. Keep us posted!

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Thanks F&F, when we find out anything I'll post again.

Refried Dreamer said...

Wow. I'm so sorry to hear that! Damn.

I'm here for you.

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Thank You Refried - no news yet, it's crazy everyone's just moved on like nothing. Don't police have to DO something? Ugh.