Thursday, December 10, 2009

Remember Burger Hut?

Here in this part of Mexico the police have little huts and tiny office/houses scattered about all over the place. For what function I've no clue, but we see them from time to time and this here's just about the silliest one I've come across. I wish you guys could see it close up, it's just so teeny and ramshackle! At least you can get an idea of it's size by looking at the car tires they have holding the roof down. (You know, I just typed out that last sentance in all seriousness without the whole car-tires-on-the-roof thing even phasing me. What's happening to me?)

I've heard from others that the police might take you to one of these little places to intimidate you to get more bribe money out of you but hell, the three times we've been pulled over here our money was good enough right there on the street.

What I think they really are? I've got an idea that the police go around shaking down taco stands and if the taco stand won't pay out they steal the stand and make a fort out of it. Remember forts?

If you come from the country and you were a boy or a tomboy you'll remember just how big of a DEAL having a fort was when you were a kid. It didn't have to be one of those big special tree house deals that you see on t.v. - nobody in our neighborhood had one of those - no, it was more likely to be an abandoned deer stand or just a bunch of wood you managed to pile up against some trees. A couple of summers we hung out under a bridge (lovely I know.) A fort was such a huge THING when I was a kid, lol I'd forgotten about it. :)

Little brothers could NOT be allowed to come to the fort and hang out - the whole day would be ruined and we did our damn best to stock the fort with whatever we could get from home. Me and the neighbor boy managed to get some candles, a lighter, a shovel, a tin for storage, a salt shaker and a bunch of sandwhich bags (to make water balloons) all stored up one summer and thought we were quite in hog heaven. We had special rocks that we'd dug out of the ground and rolled over for our chairs and even a can of spray paint to decorate - we were - the shit.

Did you guys have forts? What did city kids do? The more I think of it now the more that comes back to me and I'm remembering that FEIRCE feeling of ownership that came with it. Our parents never bothered us about the forts and never that I can remember came to check them out or see what was what - I wonder if they knew how big a deal it was? I'm betting they did. I'm also thinking now that I'm on the verge of being a parent that they probably checked out our shit when we weren't around just to see that things were copacetic and safe enough.

I hope Daisy has a fort some day. I'll totally check it out but I won't let her know it.

So yeah, I'm betting these little police huts are little grown-man forts that they get together to hang out in and jive talk when they're not busy extorting anybody. It almost makes me mushy feeling to think about. :P

16 comments:

Kristi said...

Hell yes we made forts...everywhere we could! In the woods, in the basement, under the couch cushions at Gram and Gramps. Wow, that brought back a lot of memories for me too!
Too funny about the car tires on the roof and just the shack in general

On Mexican Time said...

Jajaja - that is one funny looking thing... I guess it's not the size that matters.... LOL!

I've never seen those around, but we do have some really crappy looking posts at certain points of the hwy where the federalis sit and wait....

Krissyface said...

I just checked in with you after a little while away and cannot believe Daisy isn't here yet!!! WTF, woman? Where IS this baby?

jenny said...

OMG!!! I SO had a fort when I was a kid. Would you believe I hung out under a bridge, too??? It was kind of creepy, you knew the "big" kids were hanging out there at night because there were beer cans and used condoms all over. We hung out there a week before we got a little weirded out and found a better spot for a fort. I mean, who wants to be near a used condom for christ sakes??? Like, ewwww!

The hubs and I want to build one for the kids in our woods. Our way of keeping them close, but giving them their freedom at the same time.

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Kristi - The woods were the best! I had a good time today thinking back about that stuff, I'm glad you did too :)

O.M.T. - You're hilarious :P And geessh stay away from ye ole federalis. Yucko yo.

Krissyface - She's got 8 more days till she's technicaly due so we're just hangin' out :)

Jenny - LOL I don't think we saw any used condoms but there would be new graffiti on the walls sometimes that would make us feel pretty weird too :P AND Awwwwww that would be SO cool for you guys to build one for your kiddos! They'll never forget it! :)

Ritamg said...

We made a tee pee type fort. It was totally cool. I wonder what happened to it?

Sgt said...

Reminds me of those little photo huts that used to be around. Remember "Police Academy"? Sweetchuck was working in one and it got tossed into the river.

I remember building forts of course. I'm sure a few are still up in the woods behind my parents house considering they were built from whatever we could get our hands on.... 2x12, 10" galvanized nails, sheet metal, aluminum roofing. Now that I think of it, sounds more like cold war preperations...

Ahhh the memories.

onebadmamajama said...

I totally remember having a fort! And now my kids are at the perfect age for fort making and they have been busy busy! lol My son (who is 6) cleared out a spot in the bushes on the other side of the driveway and he and my daughter (8) have been busy decorating with pine needles! I'm gonna have to get a picture and blog about it:)

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Rita - Awwww that sounds cute :) And I know what yuo mean, it makes you wonder now what ever became of all that stuff :)

Sgt. - 10' galvanized nails - aaaaahhhahahah oh lordy that exactly how it went! We too would pick up whatever we could find - 3 10' nails, 12 teeny picture hanging nails we managed to sneek from the house, a junky board from along side the road, scrap from Dad's pile of building stuff and maybe a 4x4 somebody managed to find floating in a lake or something goofy like that. :P

Aaaaand now I want to watch Police Academy again. I hope it's as funny as I remember it :P

O.B.M.J. - Awwww that's so sweet that your boy and girl play together with the fort building. :)

raúl said...

The first fort we built was made from skids or pallets. Then we put evergreen branches all over it. It was GREAT! CAMOUFLAGE!!!! I looked like a giant bush until the branches turned brown and rusty. :( Then it looked like an eye-sore. :(

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Raul - :) Sounds like a nice place to me - shmanzy! :) LOL on the eye sore after it wilted, kids don't think that far :)

Upstate Broad said...

My neighborhood was half composed of my relatives, lots of cousins, and there was about 25 acres of woods, which also belonged to us (well, Grampa, anyway). So we had some AWESOME forts in there, as well as trails we cut ourselves and tore all around on mini-bikes and dirt bikes. So many parts of my childhood sucked unbelievably, but that sure isn't one of them!

On another note, seriously, you're due on the 18th? Damn, of all the coincidences! I have 2 friends who are pregnant right at the moment, and BOTH of you are due on the 18th! Just a little Twilight Zone music playing in the background right now. I have to recommend jumping jacks or something of that sort beginning immediately. My birthday is the 17th and unless you have a birthday that close to Christmas, you can't imagine how much it stinks for a kid. Your birthday gets totally lost in the shuffle. Commence jumping up and down right now, Sista!

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Upstate - LOL I'll totally be jumping around like a crazy person as soon as my mom get's here on the 13th. :) Hell, I was born on the 2nd of Dec. and people STILL managed to throw it in with Christmas when I was a kid.
The biggest screw up? I got married to C. 2 DAYS before my birthday - gahh, I'll never get a birthday gift again. :P And your woods sound wonderful by the way, how much fun you must have had there :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Author gringa-n-mexico.blogspot.com !
Certainly. I join told all above. Let's discuss this question. Here or in PM.

Jane said...

I lived in the city as a child (St. Paul, MN) and we had all kinds of forts -- and snow forts in the winter!!! (also called igloos).

P.S. Your blog is adorable.

Sparx said...

Oh yeah, we had forts - usually under some prickly bush in the corner of a field where nobody would know it was there... scramble under at ground level and get inside to the trunk where the branches grow up and there's a cave - matches, candles, apple juice turning into cider... the total shit. I want a fort right now to be honest...