Sunday, February 28, 2010

Weight Loss In Mexico

Losing weight is harder in Mexico than it is in the United States. The food is better here and we eat tortillas with like EVERY meal. Do you have ANY idea how many calories are in like ONE flour tortilla!??

Ok, ok so there's great food in the U.S. too, and I'm sure it's just as hard to lose weight there - well of course I'm sure, I lost 70 pounds a few years ago, I know what I'm talking about. Wait though, if I know what I'm talking about then maybe it IS harder to lose weight in Mexico?

Ugh. I've been avoiding blogging about this subject because I don't want to chase people away or bore the shit out of you by whining about weight loss struggles - but then I remembered that this is my blog, it's my outlet and I need to outlet some fatty-stress.

I lost weight a few years ago by doing Dance Dance Revolution (about 30 pounds!) and then started running and doing a manual labor job and lost another 40 pounds. After the 70lb loss I still wasn't a skinny minnie but I was neato enough to make my then future husband do a double take and like what he saw. Fast forward 3 years of comfortable marrige and one baby and I find myself 34 lbs back up on the scale. Geesh.

I've only got 10 lbs of baby weight left and the other 24 are, well, me eating-like-a-happy-bastard-over-the past-3-years weight.

I want to lose it.

I've done it before and I can do it again, no doubt, but I need some inspiration damn it. AND I need to figure out a way to freakin DO this! My X-box was stolen when we moved here so no more DDR and I'm afraid to start running the streets again because it's not exatcly the smartest thing to be doing right now where we live. I'd love to buy a treadmill so I can run inside but we don't have the space.

And just how the HELL am I supposed to find time to exercise with a pissy baby that requires being held every waking moment of the day?

GGAAHHH!! But I don't want to be this gross stero-type mom that says it's not her fault she can't lose weight - it's because she doesn't have the time! But SHIT, where is the time! My job keeps me away 10 hours a day and when I get home my husband thrusts the baby into my arms and runs away from her until I have to go to sleep. If she sleeps for 20 minutes or so I try desperately to clean or cook or . . . poop for gods sake! Damn it I had had to poop HOLDING my baby this morning!

You know you always here before you have kids how life changing it is and how you'll never have time to yourself again but nobody mentions the fact that one can no longer make solo bowl movments. Just sayin'.

Anyways. I don't have time to cook more than one meal a day - it's NOT going to happen - and the rest of the day I forage for anything availiable. SO. So I have resorted to what I previously thought was a cliche.

Slim Fast.

I'm doing the Slim Fast diet. *Insert Laughter if you like*

But ya know? It kinda works for me! Most of the time I truly can't manage to cook let alone make a sandwhich or salad, so this grab a shake and drink it in 1 minute or less deal seems to be . . . feasible!

I've been doing it for a little over a week now and I've lost . . . drumroll please . . . 5 pounds!

Hooray right!?

I'm the type that NEEDS exercise to keep losing weight though. If I take in the exact # of calories this week as I did last I might be lucky to lose a half a pound, it's just the way I work. But what can I DO!?

Yesterday while holding Daisy (honest to God she really does have to be held pretty much all of the time or she'll scream) I thought it would be a good idea to just walk up and down the stairs over and over for a half hour or so. But I'm clumsy. I'd be setting us up for a bad spill if I keep going up and down the stairs and that's just dumb. SO, I stood at the bottom of the steps and just stair stepped up one, down one over and over.

Boooorrrrrriiinngggggg. I mean really.

I have videos but I'd give my baby whip-lash if I tried to hold her or put her in her sling while doing them.

I used to take her out and go for walks but it's too scary here right now. What can I DO? If there's a will there's a way, I know that, but I feel like I'm stuck in a cage.

Any ideas? What did you Moms do after your babies were born to get back in shape? Wanna commiserate? :D

I've heard of those baby/mommy work-outs but can you do them with a 2 month old? And can you actually get any cardio while holding a newborn?? GAHHHHHH!!

(And p.s. I blog from work now, so no jibes about getting my ass off the computer!)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to chew some sugar free gum. :P






15 comments:

Suki said...

Ok, here's some stuff from someone who hasn't ever struggled with weight(except to keep it on the right places and off the wrong ones...) till date.

1. Keep varying your diet. This is something I heard from hearsay, but it makes sense to me - don't maintain any routine, keep varying what you eat. Don't let your body get used to anything.
2. Something from a friend - you might have to wait another month(till Daisy can hold her head up on her own), but it might work! http://mysticmargarita.blogspot.com/2008/08/fun-way-to-lose-those-mommy-pounds.html

Don't feel pressured to lose weight just yet - be sensible. And here's a BEEEG ((HUG)).

Poop in peace!

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Suki - You are forever one of the neatest friends I've got here! You're so sweet and sensible - and lol you told me to poop in peace, it doesn't get better than that :D I'll check out that link! Thank You :)

gringationcancun said...

I lost 10 pounds in January on the Special K diet!... then I got overly confident and ate bigger dinners. Now I'm just maintaining.

Be careful about any diet that makes you lose more than 2 pounds a week. It's usually not a healthy option, and you may gain a lot back!

At least you're working out specific muscles by holding your poop in!

Vadose said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leah Flinn said...

I hear you on needing to do physical exercise - I am the same way. I never struggled with my weight until I traded waiting tables/stocking shelves throughout college for sitting at a desk designing websites. Problem is I can't work a physically more demanding job in Mexico and get paid anything at all. I HAVE to get out and go for a walk/jog in the park at least 3-4 times a week or I feel all the tortillas and lard-cooked products adding to my waistline. Can you move to a safer part of the city where there is a park nearby? I go to a park to job/walk and it really helps. And I see a lot of moms there with little babies, either in stroller or in arms.

Crystal said...

I went to a weight loss Doctor. My biggest problem is my appetite and especally working on 2nd shift I would eat at night when I got home and then my supper break at work is at night after around 6 or 7. Well they gave me this medicine and it helped supres my appetite. I was not near as hungry. I would eat dinner at work and then I would not be as hungry at night, sometimes I could go to bed without eating and just eat breakfast in the morning. I would eat a very light lunch and then supper, but not as much because I was not as hungry. It worked for me I lost around 50 pounds in a little less than 5 months. There is a lot of controversy over weight medicines and appetite supressants, but there is a lot of controversy over birth control pills too. I was taking the medicine under Dr's care and I felt confident about it. Oh yeah I did not change my diet at all and I rarely exercised, but I only would drink diet drinks.
As soon as I have the baby I am going back and I am going to try that dance dance revolution- is it only on X box what is it?
Good luck, I was looking forward to going to the gym, but now I have to wait until November. I am thinking about walking and going to bicycle in the gym to atleast try and get my legs in shape. Did you know I was pregnant now?

Sunshine said...

I thought about going to plaza periferico and walking around the plaza like 5 times pushing a stroller really fast. But then..the hubs says that's not even safe....WTF???? Come on already...well if you think of something i'm down with it....cause i'm in the same boat as far as exercise is concerned.

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Gringa - MMMmmm special K! That would be a good swap-out idea if I get sick of the shakes! Thank You!

Leah - Right now we can't really go anywhere in the city at all but I apreciate the idea :) And MMmmmmm LARD - yumo :D

Crystal - OMG you're pregnant!! EEEEEEEEEE!!!!! Congratulations!!!!! EEEEEEEEEE!! Oh dude, WOW! Ok, breathe. :) So, an appetite supressant that really worked? Hey neato! And I hear what you're saying about controversy, it's on everything! Thank You :)

Sunshine - I totally went to Walmart today to find a baby workout DVD but they didn't have any. So FINE, I'm gonna buy one online! :) If you ever feel like it (even though I'd swear on a bible you've got the PERFECT body, you tramp) we could get together and do a baby workout together. Your Mr. Hefty would give you some arm definition for sure! :)

jill said...

Slim Fast and dancing in my living room. Good luck!!!!!

jenny said...

I can't even remember the last time I pooped in peace!
The bathroom in my bedroom is cool, there are drawers under the sink and if I shut the bathroom door and open the drawer, it blocks the door and keeps the kids out! hooray!! The only time I feel bad locking the kids out is when the baby comes running and runs smack into the door. I take a peek and he is laying on the floor and I swear I see tweety birds flying around his head! poor fella. I can now keep the kids out, but then their little fingers and toes slip under the door and I can hear them crying "mama, mama" which doesn't make for pleasant pooping. sigh

Anyway-- losing weight? hah! 20 months later, I still haven't gone back to my pre-4th-baby weight yet. I sill have hope though. Good luck to you, girl!

Upstate Broad said...

Couple of thoughts. First, if you can't walk or run where you live, how about where you work? Can Chino wait an extra 1/2 hour or so for you to get home after a run (or can you go in a little earlier)? It might not be possible, I realize, lots of hotels are located in areas of busy highways and no sidewalks, but it's an idea.

And it's good to exercise before you eat in the morning, or whenever you wake up, it revs up your metabolism for the whole day.

The Big Guy and I have embraced the teachings of a couple of fitness "experts," Bill Phillips and Jorge Cruz. You can find their books on Amazon, if you need them. They have similar philosophies. Basically, exercise 1st thing in the morning. Three meals of 500 calories or less. Snacks in between of 100 to 200 calories, and a treat in the evening at about the same level. It's important to eat roughly every 2 1/2 to 3 hrs, so you never get hungry, because that's what will cause you to overeat.

I know it sounds odd for someone who is grossly obese to give advise like this, but I've lost 30 lbs in the last 2 months, and the Big Guy almost 40. So we haven't been at it long, but we can attest that it works. And it's something we can keep up for the long haul. We've got a couple of long plane rides coming this summer, and trust me, the heavier you are, the more uncomfortable those seats are!

Upstate Broad said...

And if you think chewing sugar free gum is going to help somehow, DON'T!! The way I learned it, anytime you chew gum or anything else, it activates your stomach to start releasing juices to digest the food it is expecting to receive shortly. This, in turn, will just make you MORE hungry.

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

UPSTATE!! That's freaking AWESOME !!! YYYAAAAYYYYY for you and your husband OMG!! You know, I really do need to eat more often, you're right about waiting to long and then becoming ravenous! And lol yes the gum does make me more hungry, the bastard! The same with drinking green tea! LOL it's supposed to "rev your metabolism" (*snort, like by 10 calories a day) but all it does is make me like STARVING hungry! :P Thank You for the tips :)

Miracle Pending said...

I definitely know how you feel. I'm home all day and still seems hard to get exercising. Are you replacing your lunch with slim fast? This should cut down on the time you take to actually eat and you can take a walk on your lunch break, no? I used to do this when I had an office job because my back would cramp up really bad from just sitting all day. My office was in the Hollywood Hills so the walks were....mountainous. Anyway, whether you have inclines or not, getting your 10,000 steps in should be a healthy way to start exercising.
What time do you get up in the morning? Usually exercising before you shower to go to work helps rev up your metabolism for the rest of the day. Maybe you can do a 15 minute DVD workout in the living room or something 3 times a week?
I'm not Mexican but I have dated one so I know how hard it is to lose weight on the yummy food. It also seemed like everybody always encouraged me to eat MORE. It's like everybody tries to make you fat.

Misty said...

First, put that baby down!!!! Dang it if all the well-meaning Mexican relatives don't make it nearly impossible when they're around, but put her down, even for 2 minutes at first and let her scream a bit. 2 minutes will most likely be your limit, it was mine at first. You can do it!

Second, no one ever gets to use the bathroom in peace. Mine are almost 6 yrs old and 18 months and I just a few days ago closed the door to poo in peace. There was screaming but only for a minute. After my first was born, we lived in the states and hubby worked 2nd shift, so he watched the baby while I went back to work part time. I love reminding about how hard it can be. Anyways good luck!