Monday, May 31, 2010

With a Side of Chicken

I didn't realize how accustomed to life here in Mexico I'd become until standing outside my house the other day when my friend here who is also from the states pointed out the new addition of chickens on the side of my neighbors house - and started laughing at it. She told my "Oh my gosh, that's SSOOOOO a blog post for you!"

The cage and chickens showed up on the side of my neighbors house about two weeks ago and I remember seeing it the first time and thinking to myself "Huh, wonder what they're keeping them for? To breed?" and going on about my day like there was nothing kooky about it in the least. HA! When I first moved here I would have run outside with my camera immediately and then ran back in to call my Mom but now.... lol it's just so normal.

The lack of space in-house and outside of houses here makes for a lot of creativity from the people. A neighbor two houses the other way actually has two poodles living on their roof and in our old neighborhood there was a German shepherd that lived on someones roof. Chino's cousin has a neighbor who raises a whole hen house of chickens on the his roof and I've often seen him climbing up there and throwing out corn for them to feed. Nothing goes to waste here and that includes all possible space.

This is the first time I've ever seen chickens on the SIDE of a house but hell, if it works don't knock it. I'm just happy the damn rooster has his days and nights figured out. One of my Moms roosters from when I used to live back home was always getting day and night confused - especially if the moon was bright - and could be heard crowing all night long. So, I'm just happy ole KFC across the street has a brain.

It's funny how a little time and acclimation can change a persons perspective on what's normal and what's not. The truth is that there IS no normal - but it would be good to remember to laugh when I see things that are a tad . .. . ingenuitive.

15 comments:

Krissie said...

Chickens... tasty.

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

LOL thank goodness I can finaly agree.

PuertoVallartaGirl said...

damn girl you get up early. What I liked about that post... was the rebar that sticks up from the beam on the side of the rail-less 2nd floor patio. Nothing says mexico construction more than that huh? oh and the chi che's. Thats what we called the topes - when we were in mexico, because when you drive around the country some towns just show a picture of what looks like boobs to indicate speed bumps. Oh and the speed bumps that are as big as a curb in the US. I once wrote a post about how when I first moved to Mexico I would see a baby on a motorcycle and freak out. But that after a year I would see an entire family on a small motor cycle and not even notice anything was out of sorts. (PS i don't support it - you just get used to different stuff)

raúl said...

Hmmm.m Being that I used to have game cocks when I lived in OKLA, I wouldn't be surprised if that was what that is.

1. Very brightly colored feathers.
2. No hens
3. Well...it IS northern Mexico!

Keep an eye on it and see if they take it for 'trips' in the car. ;)

gringationcancun said...

All I could think with that last picture was "don't fall over! Dont fall over!!!"

Yesterday I saw 2 horses walking through a Cancun neighborhood. I'm glad to say those things still surprise me.

Sparx said...

Fantastic! Poor thing though, not much space hey? Probably good if it's being fattened up I guess...

Sunshine said...

A ride in the car.....oh my goodness...that is so funny. It is a beautiful rooster...so they may have other plans for it! Interesting thought!

Chris Allin said...

The moment you become accustomed to these things is the moment you become Mexican in your soul.

Ya eres mexicana, que la pases bien!

Ritamg said...

Um, is that some sort of ladder inside the coop for the chicken? Do chicken go up and down ladders?

When I was in the Czech Republic, I realized that all my relatives keep chickens in the back yard whether they lived in a rural area or in the middle of Prague. Chickens in the backyard = fresh eggs and fresh chicken dinners. Mmmm good.

Alice said...

That still looks funny to me :) haven't seen any DFeños raising chickens in the city yet...

Chris Allin said...

@Alice That's because they are Chilangos, Chilangos are a unique brand of Mexicans capable of out drinking anyone and being hated by all of Mexico.

But I love them!

On Mexican Time said...

Hilarious.... I have to admit, I don't see chickens in Cancun.... anywhere :) LOL!!!

PuertoVallartaGirl said...

Gringa - I totally saw chickens in Puerto Vallarta. I once wrote a blog (back in 2008) It was about how I would often forget I was in Mexico (because pv is very american) until I would just see a random chicken walking around. One time I was waiting in the car for my husband at the VW dealership in PV and then I saw a chicken walk by. lol no joke.

Karen said...

Oh, Lindy. You are right about how we don't even notice anymore. I am totally weirded out by the fact that my new neighbors (I moved, they didn't) have two nice cars. Cousin-in-laws here have a whole balcony for the roosters. I hadn't even thought about it. I will have to see if I have a good pic and put it up on my blog. And yeah, he looks like a fighter to me. That is what we do here. Everyone in my daughter's "family" has fighting roosters (I put the other word first but didn't want you to pee your pants laughing, 'cause obviously the women don't have those.) The things I noticed right away are there is a cage (thus probably for fighting) and there is only one, that is what after almost three years looks strange to me.

PVG- when people here ask me what I miss in the US I always tell them streets without topes. OMG, some of them are huge. The combi driver hit one the other day and we all flew off the seats. New route maybe???

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

PVG - lol no, just at work. And OMG I SOOOO didn't even notice the re-bar or the hahahahahah "che-ches!" lol I finaly have a name for those bastards!

Raul - lol he DOES have a girlfriend that lives with him - she's just so close to his side in the pic you can't see her. Maybe he's a stud and they're incubating?

Gringa - Isn't it funny how the horses don't seem to have a purpose for where they're at but nobody is concerned about it? I saw one just hanging out in an intersection the other day for no apparent reason. And lol nobody seemed to notice. :D

Sparx - no not so much :( Perhaps I should free him in the night....

Sunshine - lol thanks for the blog idea! ;)

Chris - Aye DIOS - Nombre!! :D ;)

Rita - perhaps he's a circus chicken :P

Alice and OMT - FOR REAL??? Huh... maybe it IS a northern Mexico thing! NOTHING??? LMAO now there's something that actually surprises me. :D

PVG - "random chicken" lol for some reason that made me giggle :D

Karen - OMG. I didn't use that word! It was there screaming to be used and over-used and joked about and I could have done SO MUCH with it - aaaaand nothing. I wonder if the 12 yr old boy in my brain has died or something? COCK. I didn't even THINK of it. How sad!!! :D