Sunday, October 17, 2010

Two Years!

I've now lived in Mexico for two years. I'd like to do a post about all the things I've learned about life here and things I've learned about life in general through this experience. Unfortunately though, that would require deep thought that at the moment I'm not capable of. It's not easy to do deep-thinking when you're pregnant and have a 10 month old crawling around the house all day trying to kill herself in 200 imaginative ways.

I guess the lesson learned there would be that something here in Mexico makes me a fertile Mertyle and that I should learn to take BIRTH CONTROL a bit more seriously.

I can say I've learned that it's common to use laundry detergent powder to wash not only clothes but dishes and surfaces as well. I've learned to drive like a controlled maniac and enjoy it. I've also learned that when driving though a mud puddle the length of a football field that it's wise to follow behind another person and let them risk falling in a pot hole the size of a CAR first.

I've learned how to cook with dried chile's and make some kick ass salsa, beans, rice, enchiladas, mole, and whatever else my husband (lol or myself) might be craving.

I've learned (dear lord *GASP*) to like the dryyyy *cahh CKAAHH* Mexican sweet breads that called Pan Dulce that are compeletly NOT sweet. The reason they're so not sweet is because Mexicans like them with their coffee and when they drink coffee there's somehow 2/3 more milk and 2/3 more sugar than coffee or water. Somehow 4/3's milk and sugar is possible in a cup of Mexican coffee.

I've learned that things like telephone, cable and Internet service will take up to a month to be installed in ones house here and that no amount of outraged American Bitching will make it go faster. GIVE IT UP GRINGA.

I've learned that around 1/4 of the population seems to work for the cartel and that it's not going away any time soon - if ever. I personally know five different families that are kept afloat by the Husbands working in it and it amazes me that they're all pretty damn good people. I've learned that it's so huge it encompasses every facet of life here from the big drug smuggling and politics stuff right down to the flea markets and even the teeeennyy wee seller of C.D.'s or clothes on the corner. You can't blink or fart a pea without it being known here and you learn to live with it - and forget about it - real quick.

I've learned that the poorest people are often the happiest and most satisfied - and cook the best food.

I've learned that eating at the scary no-water-to-wash anything food stands and carts is one of the best places to get food outside of the home and that you won't die from eating there. I've never become sick from the food here - only the water in Monterrey. I've learned people truly DO NOT drink the water here! :D

The more I write -even not in deep thought mode - the more I realize there is. I could go on for another 10 pages but you'd be bored to tears, leave and be afraid to come back here again so I'll quit while I'm ahead.

I should say that I've learned that home is where the heart is, but that's why I moved here. At least I knew ONE thing before I came. :)

15 comments:

Pam said...

Lindy, I haven't gotten a damn thing done today. I've been following you for a few months now I guess, and today I apparently just didn't have anything better to do... I was all like, "How DID she end up in Mexico?" So I went back to the beginning of this blog and read up to your "I'm knocked up" announcement last year.

I already thought you were super cool, but HOLY SHIT, how have you kept your marbles?!?!?!?! You freakin' rock.

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Pam - lol I've done that on other blogs, I totally get it! :) And what a compliment, thank you :) How I got here.... lol - hell if I remember! :D

Upstate Broad said...

I had 3 great-aunts who never married, lived their whole lives together in the house their parents left them. I could go on and on about all the lovely memories I have of these wonderful women, but the blast of nostalgia I just got from you is that I never saw them use anything but Ivory Soap flakes to wash their dishes, the same brand they used downstairs in the laundry room!

Vadose said...

Congratulations on two years and having learned to take all this crazy (and wonderful) shit in stride. Congratulations on learning to be a great mama. Congratulations on making it work out for you in Mexico. Keep on rocking, lady.

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Upstate - Sisters are cool right? I'm glad the new one is going to be a girl! And lol WHITE people do that too????

Vadose - You're alive! Lol you've been as bad about blogging as me - I'm glad to see you around - and thank you :)

Marlo said...

Thanks for keeping a smile on my face, I was totally amazed to see that you had blogged again so quickly!

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Aw Marlo - Thanx for nagging me back into it again! It was all you! :)

raúl said...

Lindy,
so happy to see you blog. I ain't bitchin though. I wouldn't be able to keep up a blog, and I don't have a hubby, baby girl, and one on the way. Congrats on your two year anniversary. I am working on a year and a half in D.F. I would have quit and packed up if i lived on the border. Super kudos to you! I have learned to use laundry detergent for everything but I still have my 'ugly-american' moments at Tel-Mex and various other 'service' companies. You are blessed with a lovely family and a 'can-do' spirit. Here's to as many more years in the republica as you can stand. ;) If you ever make a trip down to see Larry in Tepoztlán I hope to drop by and see you and yours.

Refried Dreamer said...

awwww.... congratulations!!! Haha. And yes, if u were not fertile before, you are guaranteed in Mexico. My sister got pregnant here in Mexico the ONE time she came down here. If it wasn't the water, must have been the tequila.

The things you can't change. Wow. Asi es. I'm sure you've learn to relax a bit, to let go of control and live your life day by day. The only person that you can truly control is yourself.... and the rest of the world??? yeah... NO.

Kudos to you for makin' it happen... with a smile! :)

On Mexican Time said...

Baaahahahaha - well congrats on making it 2 years amiga, that's pretty much all I have to say about that.... There should sometimes be medals awarded? No? Or a convocation of sorts.... Yeah, I graduated from School of Gringa's LOST in Mexico!!!! Hahaha :) I'd get straight A's, don't know about you!! LOL!!

Krissie said...

So, does this two years recap makes up for me missing a huge chink of your blog?

...

Yeah, I didn't think so.

P.S. Boy, you're sappy.

nikolacolada said...

October is two years for me too. YIKES. I think you've taken it better than I have, I'm SO ready to go back to the US haha. Really really enjoy your blog :)

Gringa1965 said...

I have truely enjoyed reading your blog, wish you would write more. Seems to me that you have learned many of the important things about living in Mexico. Stay safe.

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Raul - Thank You :) And I sure DO hope to get down to Mr. Prater SOME day! :)

Refried - I wish I could trruuuully grasp the concept of only controlling myself - or at stop worrying about not being able to control other! (lol mainly cranky people :D )

OMT - Awards indeed damn it! At least a Chip like in AA or SOMETHIN'!

Krissie - Sappy for realz right?? That's all I feel like writing lately! I need to locate my funny bone again - fo sho. :D

Niko - lol nahhh, I suck pretty hard at it here but tryyyy to blog mostly sunny and funny stuff here so I won't chase everybody away :D

Gringa65 - Why thank you!! :) And I hope to blog more!! I used to... and then the baby and this new job but I'm finally getting back on the wagon :)

Waitress from Mensa said...

Please...write the 10 more pages you mentioned, one at a time, if you must. We won't be bored! Honest!

Sniff! The last paragraph is sweet. I'm so glad you found love.