Tuesday, December 7, 2010

iPad!!!!!!!!

Our Mexican Internet took a turn for the worse the past few weeks and I spent a sick amount of time stalking it for even the barest connection so I could get my Facebook fix.  Luckily though we lit some candles, called in a bruja, cracked some eggs and rolled a few coconuts and our service was restored last night.  I don't know about the rest of world but here in Mexico you've got a safer bet calling on witch craft than to go to the cable provider.    

Anyhoo, between that and the fact that I've been sick with cold after flu after cold after flu (screw you pregnancy and you're stupid lowering of the immune system) while trying to take care of the baby and make it to work, be a wonderful teacher and come home and take care of EVERYTHING because my husband has taken a second job and is nnneeeeevverrr home anymore - and be 5 months pregnant - I've been too busy to blog.  

I hate that.  The why-I'm-being-a-shitty-blogger speech, but there you have it.  I can't tell you how many times i've thought about doing the "I quit because life is too much, it's not you it's me" post, but in the end I'd rather be kicked in the face.  I LOVE BLOGGING!!!!  It's been so damn good to me, I can't give up.

Grrrrrr world, grrrrrr!!

Anyways.  I took my once weekly trip to texas a couple of days ago and stopped off at my p.o. Box because my Mom said she'd sent me a care package for my birthday.  She mentioned that she'd been going through the old Christmas ornaments and started in on a crying jag because I'm so far away and felt that she just had to send me something.  My Ma is pretty honest when it comes to her greif about me being gone and as hard as it is I think it's better that way.
I felt warm inside because I figured she had sent me a couple of our old ornaments for my birthday and I'd be quite glad to have them.  She said that she sent along a little something for everyone and I was excited to see what she'd sent for the baby.

So, when I got back to my car with the package I'd picked up and immediately ripped into it like a 6 year old, you can imagine my confusion when I saw that the box was small-ish but quite heavy.  I thought "Huh, did she send me a bible??"
My Mom loves to put things in Boxes that have nothing to do with their contents so when I pulled off the wrapper and saw a box that said "iPad I thought to myself "Where did she come across an iPad box?"

When I pulled the lid off and saw a REAL iPad sitting there my little brain shut down.  When it sputtered to life it went something like this -"BLANK...............That's an iPad  Electronic.....What?.......Shit, did The post office give me the wrong box?......No, can't be because it was wrapped and that was Dad's handwriting that said Happy Birthday....did they send me the wrong gift? ...No stupid why would they have an iPad laying around........they really sent me an iPad......????.....why would they do that?? God aren't these expensive as hell?? DEAR GOD IT'S AN iPad!!  They know what an iPad IS?? Oh God, I don't even know what it is ......I just know it's really cool....what am I going to do? What will I say?? OH MY GOD it's an iPad!!" 

After I came to terms with it enough to be able to drive again I took off for the rest of my errands with it on the front seat of my car and glanced at it about every 16 seconds or so and said out loud "That's an iPad!". I must have said it allowed about 30 times or so.  The window on my car doesn't roll up all of the way and I was afraid someone would take it or finally steal my car so I ended up taking it into all of the stores I had to go to.  Including.....the grocery.

Whew. Looong story short I'm now - because of the iPad -able to type ANYWHERE!  It's taken me two days but I've written this at the kitchen table, the couch, in bed and now at work.  See?  I've got the will, I just didn't have the way!  And now I do.  Please thank my Ma and Dad!  EEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
  

16 comments:

Lib (in Virginia) said...

I am so glad to know that you are alive and well. It does not matter wether I know someon personaly or not, if I have spoke or written to a person and then they stop communcating, I get worried. Everyday I open your blog and it was still stuck on the Day of the Dead, so I had come to the conculsion that you had lost the internet, had the baby and was to busy, or had enough of Mexico and left for the states. I'm glad you got an iPAD for your Bday. Happy late Birthday. I think your blogs are great and the way that you express yourself, it feels just like I can hear you saying these things. So keep up the writing and welcome back.

Lisa n Javi said...

Hi, (lisa- new to blogging) just wanted to say glad you are feeling better and love the humor and honesty in your stories. Thanks for the great blogs and welcome back!

JILLCHAVEZ said...

I am so glad to know that you are ok too. Each day I checked your blog and it was the same. I know how it is here in Mexico and I was starting to get worried. Isn't it the best to get a package from home? I am going to the border this weekend to renew my permit and my permit for my car. And to take a trip to Texas to stock up on the necessities that can't be bought here, like Diet Mt.Dew, Chocolate (god knows the chocolate here sucks), and tampons. Glad to know you are back and kickin and I look forward to reading your blogs. You blog and others are what keep me going some days! Thank you for that!

Josie said...

I missed you soooo much! And, hello, totally jealous of the iPAD! Good to know you're alive.

Barb said...

Well, don't *you* have the coolest parents on the planet! :-) Belated happy birthday and welcome back to the internet.

Larry Prater said...

One of my sisters recently visited and brought me an iPad. It is wonderful. It seems to have about everything but a camera. It has GPS and can show you exactly where you are. You can email and surf the net and publish on FaceBook and many other things. We also use ours for business on the weekends at our spa. We put all our food and drink orders on it and use it to show each customer how much he owes. I love my iPad!!! I am so glad you also have one. I guess you know this already, but you can use Skype and many other free apps on your iPad.

Corey Jo said...

I'm sooooo happy for you. I can't wait to see you!!! I'm counting the days down!! I Love you and Miss you and can't wait to meet my little Bean Daisy!!!

Kristi said...

Lucky lady!!!! That rocks! Have fun with your new iPad toy!

gringationcancun said...

Ooooh cool! I'm a little bit jealous :)

Zoe said...

Ja! and jajajaja on me! I thought, "screw it, I'll check one more time" and waited for the chili peppers to pop up with the DOD stuff. Whacked up side of head with a NEW BLOG; short and sweet but a blog from Mexico's newest gringo comedienne. Ipads rock as does my Kindle and shame of it is....NOW YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE!! MUAHAHAHAHA

Zoe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Lib - heavens to Betsy you're the sweetest thing since TANG! Thank You for such kind words :)

Lisa, welcome to blogging and Thank You!

Jill - LOL to all THREE of those items - soooooo true!!

Josie, lol alive is always good, I agree :). ! :)

Barb - they're great without gifts but I DO love the iPad!

Larry - I can use Skype on it?? Oh!! That's cool!!!!

Corey - Eeeeeeeee!!!! I can't wait to see you too!! I know you better Now than when I lived there!

Kristi & Gringa - eeeeeeeeeeee right???? :)

Joe - ka ka kaaaaaa! And yes, no excuses!

Zoe said...

Hey, hey!!!! I am NOT Joe. No sex change yet.. Make that ZOE, kay?

Alice said...

ahhh!! iPad as a gift?? that is one of the best gifts ever! maybe one day my mom will come around the technology wagon, realize what an iPad is, miss me so much and send me one, too. but i doubt it. :( does that thing take pictures and you can post them instantly to your blog/emails?

Cara dB said...

Woohoo! Yay for iPads and for you blogging more!

Sparx said...

Whoa!!! Your folks love you - just how great is that? What a fantastic post... and don't worry, we all do the 'why I haven't been blogging' post once in a while... if you've blogged long enough, you've done the post... Merry Happy!

PS, I never did get you those tights last year... how you doing for bare-nekkid-baby feet this year?