Thursday, January 13, 2011

AH HAAA Moment

AH HAAAAA MOMENT

When I first heard from other teachers here in Mexico that schools are shut down when the temperature dies below 6 celsius, I thought it was just plain silly. Back home it could be -20 F. and nobody would bat an eyelash. Wear a coat dummy.

I forgot all about it till this first winter rolled around and teachers started getting excited. And then, yesterday happened. The temp dropped to 4 Celsius and when I showed up to my first class of the day - there were 4 kids! (public schools actually shut down but here in lame-0 private school the parents get a choice- lol, boooo)

My next class had all of ONE student but by that point I was no longer surprised. My ah ha moment came the first hour when I realized that although our classrooms have gigantic air conditioners, there are NO heating units. No central heat, not even a shabby space heater.

OHHHH well now I get it. DUH.

Houses don't have heat here in Mexico, not even the NICE houses I've been to, so I don't know how I would assume that a gigantic school would....but there you go.

Silly Gringa.

It's gal frigging cold and my idea that the parents were being pansy asses and coddling their kids flew right out the window. Pansy MY ass, shhhiiiiittt we freeze! Our school won't shut down though, the parents pay more than enough for us to be turned into a popsicle daycare if they wish it.

14 comments:

aj said...

I'm really glad to see you back posting as I really enjoy your blog. I can't see the post though!!!!

I Must Be Crazy To Live In Mexico said...

Excellent blog. Laughed my ass off, as always.

CoreyJo said...

Not able to see the post either! Maybe that's what's so funny!?!

ღღ
CoreyJo

Liz said...

I hope it was an excellent moment (I love those). But, no post for me either. If you ment to do that, that's fine but I think you've confused a few of us. And trust me, I'm easily confused!! HA HA

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Lol you guys, I hit the wrong button and posted the title before I even got a chance to write the post! And then something came up as always and I had to wait till today. :).

CoreyJo said...

Haha, you'd think that you wouldn't be cold after 2 weeks in Michigan with us polar bears. But I guess I might get how cold it is if I knew what the celsius to fehrinhite (sp) ratio was!!!

aj said...

Take solace in this, here it is -38 with the wind chill and they DID NOT close the schools. I think I got frost bite walking the kids to the bus.

I Must Be Crazy To Live In Mexico said...

Guess what? Our school on the other side of Reynosa has heat and still only half the kids showed up for class. I told the kids that did show up that in my day we walked 5 miles to school in six feet of snow uphill... both ways. One smartie asked me how that could be because if I walked uphill one way, then it should be downhill going back. Smartass kid!

ecco said...

Cool blog, congratulations for your work, ipad, birthday etc...

ecco said...

Cool blog, congratulations for your work, ipad, birthday etc...

Krissie said...

I would cry if I had to work while freezing.

Barb said...

Heyyyy...good to see you posting. I love your sense of humour and the spin you put on things.

PuertoVallartaGirl said...

When I moved to mexico I brought 2 electric heaters... People thought I was completely insane to want to waste "La luz" on heat......

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Corey, if I had time to google the conversion I would!! Lol, impossible with your crazy brown niece! ;)

Aj - Good LORD, do you live at the North Pole???

Rita - I love you but you suck. HEAT?????? ;)

Echo- thank you

Krissie - and die if you had to work with kids! ;D

Barb - thank you so much!! :)

PVG - why don't they have diablitos???? Lol, but yes, I'm sloop with you!