Saturday, May 14, 2011

Dieting AGAIN!?? Lonjas!

When I first moved to Mexico I was immediately taken back by the way women dress. It seemed that either nobody owned a mirror or that clothing at least two sizes too small was the IN style. Women run around here with not just muffin top but with their muffin tops bared for the world to SEE! I liked to go to the park, sit on a bench and just stare at the people walking by and soak up their obliviousness to fashion or size. I loved it.

Coming from the U.S. where size is so SO huge a deal and where every little lump, bump or yes, muffin is a huge discrace, it was shocking and all of a sudden liberating to be in a new world where people just don't seem to give a flying monkey about it all. I wasn't able to join the forces of spare-tire-bare-er-alls but I felt comfortable in my skin for just about the first time in my adult life.

Fast forward 2.5 years and two babies later and I'm wishing I could re-capture some of that initial new-found zest for my bodys extra curves. It's three weeks post birth and my husband is all of a sudden begging me to wear tight clothes again. Tight? Eeeek! The only clothes I own that fit me right now are a couple of shorts a pair of jeans and some t-shirts that are all blessedly NOT tight. I'm desperately dieting and trying to exercise so that I can fit back into my pants that seem SOOO far away from me and he's bugging me to wear tight clothes. God bless him but I just can't seem to get on the ban-wagon.

I tried to explain that my stomach is all out of whack and not fit for being showcased by a tight shirt and do you KNOW what the man does???!! This is Mexican culture at it's best yall. He walks over to me, grabs an oversized handful of someones *ahem* spare tire and says "What? Jew don like my lonjas? (spare tire) I don't care, dey're mine." He squeezes the spare over-inflated-tire holds onto it for a while and even leans down to give me a kiss. And then laughs at me!

In the U.S. I'd have divorced his ass right then and there but this is Mexico and he doesn't mean even the slightest thing bad by it. In the U.S. a husband shows his love for his plump wife by ignoring or pretending that her spare tires don't exist "NO those pants don't make your butt look big!" but in Mexico they show their love by bringing your extra parts to attention, calling you "Mi Gorda" (my fatty) and making light of the whole thing. They're not raised to care about it in a negative way like we are in the U.S. In fact, they just don't care AT ALL.

I'll never forget the first time my husbands family were all together and the women decided to show off their bellies to the family so everyone could laugh. It went sort of like.... "Look at Diana, she looks like she's 4 months pregnant! Haahahahaha" At which point Diana proudly lifted her shrit, grasped her generous midsection in both hands and began dancing the whole thing about and having a good ole time laughing about it. '

All the other cousins and aunts joined in doing the same thing and I sat there having a heart attack thinking "OH MY GAWD THEY'RE SHOWING THEIR BARE STOMACHS! PEOPLE CAN SEEEE!!" There were stretch marks and tires and belly-buttons gone bad, everybody was laughing and having a great time and the women showcased couldn't have cared less. Their husbands sat next to them and proudly laughed along throwing in little comments of their own and I gave a silent prayer of thanks that nobody asked me to lift MY shirt.

Over the almost three years spent here my husband has tried calling me HIS "Gorda" or "Gordita" (Fatty, little fatty) but I've informed him time and time again that I'll never be THAT Mexican-an-ized. He backs off before trying again a few months later and in the mean time is placated by the fact that I allow him to call me his "Vieja" (his old lady.) In the U.S. it's ok for a hillbilly to say "Yeah, me and my ole-lady...." but not so much to say "Yeah, me and my ole-fatty..." Just no. Not so much gonna happen bucko.

I can't quite embrace my extra-ness and to the wonder and head-shakes of my husbands family I'll be dieting and exercising like a psycho until it's brought back under control again - BUT - I'll at least feel a wee bit OK about myself in the time that it takes to get there. In the U.S. I wouldn't have had that luxury and I'd like to take a moment to be thankful for it.

22 comments:

gringationcancun said...

I suspect that Jorge likes it better when I'm a little chubby... he'll grab onto my tummy and everything!

And don't worry, I've noticed that in Mexico spouses will call eachother "gordo" and "gorda" even when the person's thin. It doesn't mean anything... but Jorge still knows not to say it haha

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Gringa - lol He still kmows not to go there!! :D

Nikki said...

Oh Lindy you gave me a great laugh this morning!! I too have been in awe over the years by the confidence of the women here. I want to be that confident but something just prevents me from walking out of the house with two babies worth of llanta hanging over the jeans ;) But seriously give yourself a little more time. You just had your baby, and you will probably find that with two you are gonna be so busy you won't have time to eat ;) I didn't get out of my yoga pants for like 2 months but I am back to my pre Miguel jeans. Now if I could only get back to pre Enrique jeans ;)
Suerte!

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Nikki - Llantas - That's the other word I couldn't remember! LMBO! :D And yes, it's early to be obssessing over weight but I can't seem to help it, I want to wear jeans! :D Two months for your pre Miguel? Did you gain very much with him? Two months sounds ok to me! :D

Indio Reyes said...

haha... my hubby is the same. He doesn't care if I diet or not... as long as the ASS doesn't go. And don't worry about the nickname. I call my STICK THIN daughter "Gorda" from when she was a baby. It's all love. :)

Refried Dreamer said...

oops sorry, i signed in as my husband's acct. that last comment was mine. :)

She-She said...

Wouldn't it be fab if people in the states had the same attitude?! Wow, everyone's self esteem would be topped out and they'd know they were loved for themselves. Girl, kiss that hubby of yours he's a keeper!

She-she

manda said...

Thank you, Your writing has helped me,,
i like this blog,,
By Lose Weight Fast

Vadose said...

My husband calls me gordita and flaquita all in the same day. When I asked him if he thought I was gaining weight, he said "Yep!" not realizing he'd just broken a rule! hahaha. You're right, what's great is not just that they point it out and laugh at it, but that nobody cares. And give yourself time to lose weight. Remember how long you took to put it on... with the help of your eating hormones.

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Indio - lol, I totally knew it was you, I have the same problem forgetting that my husband is logged on and end up commenting like that too! :D And yes! LOL that's another thing, they give nicknames of opposites too! You're fat? Flaco! You're thin? Gorda! I've even seen them call a monkey-hairy looking guy "Pelon!" :D Bwaaaaaa, pobre chango!

She-She - YES!!! Although, as hard as Americans (Mexicans too) fight with obesity maybe it's only half a good idea ;D I've no clue, but yes, the feeling IS nice :)

Vadose - OMGosh! They just don't know the rules!! LOL I actually, honest to goodness had to inform my Mom when she was here to not pay attention to any comments he made about eating or weight, that he's harmless in his intentions and has not "been trained yet." :D Otherwise, she might have went after him with my cast iron pan. :D

Lisa n Javi said...

Love this post, very cute. I realized this very quickly too. It is very common for the women to wear clothes a couple sizes to small and here or there it still bugs me. I have to agree though you do feel so much more comfortable in your skin when there is not so much pressure on the way you "should look". And my javi jokes around with me just the same, about two months ago we had just finished eating dinner and he stood there staring at my stomach while I was washing dishes. Then he walks over to me, rubs my stomach and says so what are we having. UM EXCUSE ME. He just laughed and I knew he was joking but this was after I have been trying so hard to lose weight also. It took me 8 months to lose 22 pounds and I am very proud that I have made it this far. Good Luck with all the dieting, you'll get there!

Zoe said...

Don't you love that expression, "muffin top".It SO says it all, but sometimes it looks more like runaway bread rising..like those old cartoons where it rises over the top of the bowl, starts spilling down onto the floor. I am STILL am amazed at how much is flaunted without care. I admire it, but couldn't do it. There is something about squeezed lard I don't like to look at. Just sayin'.

Jane said...

That is the biggest thing in El Salvador that I couldn't get over either - the clothes were all 2 or 3 sizes too small for all these women of ALL shapes - and I do mean ALL shapes. It was nice to be able to count how many rolls the women had - they all seem to concentrate in the midsection because they all have such puny little arms and legs. It was quite liberating!

Suki said...

Jew Amennikuns need tuh realize that not everybody ain't made a size zero!

Suki said...

Plus, 3 weeks post partum!! You must be ridiculous :-)

La Familia Garcia said...

ih my goodness, I soo shouldn't have tried to read this at work, then laugh-out-loud to then have everyone turn to ask what was so funny, then have to try to explain the culture difference and that I totally understand and how you describe it actually made me understand and love my husband even more because he's not doing it to be rude or mean, but because he loves me! Apparently I didn't do a good job explaining it, because everyone just gave me that blank stare.....

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Suki!!! Hi Sweetie!!! You're moving soon right!?? EEEEEE!!!! So proud of you!!! And lOl "Jew ammenikens" :D bwaaaaa :D And I know, 3 weeks, but still, I wanna wear JEANS! :)

La Familia - Aaahahahha you poor thing, I totally understand what you tried to do! I've seen those blank looks before :) But WE know what we mean! :)

Nikki said...

I should have been more specific. I got out of yoga pants in two months but I went right into jeans that my mom bought me that were TWO sizes BIGGER!!! Yuck. So finally Miguel is 6 months old and I am back to where I was before I got pregnant. I didn't think that I gained that much with him but looking at pictures it appears that I was wrong. I don't really listen to the doctor at the weigh in's every month for prenatal care because he tells me in kilos and I just prefer not to hear ;) I have two more sizes to go to get to where I was before Enrique we shall see how long that takes. I just never really cared enough to lose the weight after he was born but this time around I was like no way am I gonna stay this way. But really, give yourself some time and if you want to wear jeans get yourself a pair that fit you right now right now and it will be ssssoooo satisfying when in a couple months they are way big on you ;) Suerte!

notinthepink.com said...

Awwww, bless your marido. So sweet. But I'd probably be exactly like you! Hahaha.

My ex-boyfriend was a big fan of the, erm, 'bigger woman.' Not quite a "chubby chaser" as they call them but you can almost imagine him being one of those "feeders" in 20 years time. Hahahaha.

~*~*~

Ceri

Suki said...

Hey!! Another 4 months till the move to France... long but not long enough! I have NO idea how you remember :-).

Good to see you're doing great with the new munchkin!

fritp said...

I so know what you're talking about. My bf does the same thing, calls people gordo or gorda. Thankfully, I am only mi amor :) lol.

MrsAcuna said...

Yeah, I couldn't get past "gorda" or "gordita" either, but I'll let him call me "nalgona" (I've always wanted a bigger butt, so I kind of take that one as a compliment)or "cabrona"... Lol