Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Dishes, Diapers and Doo Doo OH MY!

I was just doing dishes and thinking about my Mom and her gratitude rock. It's a rock you keep in your pocket and everytime you put your hand in your pocket for change or what-not and touch it - you think of something you're grateful for. My Mom keeps one all the time and she's a thank-filled lady :)

Anyhoo, I was thinking about that and the dishes I was washing. I might not love to wash dishes but if I think about it.... I'm grateful to HAVE dishes TO wash. Some people here in Mexico don't have much more than a pan or pot, let alone a stove.


I'm thankful to have soap to wash them and a scrubbie to scrub them because I've seen people using river water and rocks and weeds here. I'm thankful I have food to put IN those dishes to cook!


Most important I'm so thankful I have a family to feed off those dishes. I've got a great family to wash those dishes for and a husband who will even help me sometimes.


It's neat what we can be truly grateful for if we stop and think about it.


Diapers! My husbands Aunt raised 9 kids in rural Mexico 40 years ago and told me one day that she never had a diaper ONE! She said they were poor and used ripped up shirts. Can you imagine? So I'm darn thankful for these diapers and the little butts I've been blessed enough to clean.


The floor I have to sweep and mop means I HAVE a floor and not dirt like some others do here. People with dirt floors DO sweep though. They take care of what they have.


I can't wait to think of other chores I thought I disliked, just so I can think of how thankful I should be for them! What can YOU be thankful for?

13 comments:

Leslie Limon said...

You my friend have the right attitude! And I love your mom's gratitude rock. I keep a gratitude journal and write something that I'm grateful for each day. (Rants and complaints go in another journal.)

There's even a little poem I saw somewhere that said...Thank God for dirty dishes, they have a tale to tell, while others may go hungry, we are eating very well.

On another note, OMG!!! Daisy is getting SO big!!! And she is such a cutie. :)

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Awww Leslie I like the poem Thank You! :) And yes, Daisy's getting gigantic, how does that HAPPEN!?? Your Journal, that sounds cool :)

Lisa n Javi said...

Great post. The rock is such a good idea to keep us in check. That is such a great thing to look at everything that life brings us and find the good. I know sometimes I forget how lucky I am, but will always be so thankful for my family, in the states and in Mexico.

Kelsey said...

That's the perfect attitude! Since coming back to the States from El Salvador, it's so easy to see how much people take for granted here. I'm grateful for what we have in El Salvador too. It's a lot more than most of our family and other people have. Thanks for the reminder to be positive and thankful.

ElleCancun said...

Great post amiga!!!

i was all depressed about turning 30 a week ago and I was quickly reminded i should be celebrating the fact that I am lucky enough to be turning 30! Certainly put things in perspective for me!!!

Valarie said...

I found your blog through Leslie's. Found her's through an search (for something entirely different) on Yahoo.

Anyway, I am an American living in Mexico. I have been here for 3 years now. At first it was kicking and screaming, now it is just normal life.

Just wanted to post that I TOTALLY agree with your post today. My eyes have been opened so much since moving to this small town. I live in Jalostotitlan, Jalisco. But, you see plenty of people that have little or nothing. Definitely makes you feel grateful for what you do have.

I am looking foward to reading through your blog to see what brough you to Mexico.

http://imustbecrazytoliveinmexico.blogspot.com/ said...

Excellent blog! I will never complain about taking cold showers again because I could be taking a bath down by the river and beating myself against the rocks.

Nicole said...

I used to work with a doctor who carried a small potato in his pocket for the same reason (although his had a little more God behind it . . . I stopped listening when he went on those rants.)

I am so thankful for everything I have in my life . . . lately the dirt on my kitchen floor that my kids tracked in from the backyard because it means they are happy and healthy and able to run and jump and play.

You, my friend, are awesome!

notinthepink.com said...

That's such a great attitude. I try not to get down about the little things by reminding myself that I'm so incredibly lucky compared to most people. :)

I can't believe how big Daisy is! Wow. She looks like a real person now! Haha.

~*~*~

Ceri

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Lisa - Right? Now.. if only I could remember to take it OUT of my pocket at night and not have it keep ending up in the washer ;D

Kelsey - El Salvador - I can't imagine! Bless your heart :)

Elle - Oooo I'll have to remember what you said here in December! (boooo ;D)

Valarie - "kicking and screaming" LOL sounds very familiar! :) I'm glad to see you here, can't wait to check out your blog! :)

Rita - "beating myself against the rocks" You are SOOOO funnY!! LMAO!!! LOVE YOU!

Nicole - I promise to not go Jesus-y on you... now.. .HAVE YOU EXCEPTED JESUS AS YOUR PERSONAL SAVIOR???? OR WHAT???? ;D

NotPink - She's my lil pink TANK :D

Zoe said...

And re-learning how much better the old tried and true works. The hell with swiffers, stick vacuums,et al,. Get out an old string mop, bucket of water and it is so much easier and more efficient. It amazes me how so many can live in the extreme heat without AC..at least at night but they do and have for years. We ARE lucky.

fritp said...

Love This! I've been having these 'moments' for the last couple weeks as well. I moved to Mexico 2 months ago, and there is so much to be thankful for <3

Debbie Perez said...

I found your blog a couple of days ago on accident and I love it. I can so relate. I have been married to a Mexican for more than 25 years. We were lucky to have married before 9-11 when the extreme paranoia about undocumented immigrants started. Most of our family consists of mixed marriages. We live in the Houston area although I am originally from Utah (that's another story, lol). I love the attitude of this post and I'm going to find my own gratitude rock. BUT, your post about going across the border by your own brave self while you were in labor sealed the deal. I can't wait to read more about you and your family and your gringa adventures in MX.