Monday, February 13, 2012

Who's YOU DADDY??



Last friday I was BLESSED to have been able to go out after work with a girlfriend (with only ONE baby, and the easy one!) and hang out for like....omg....THREE hours or so at a coffee shop.

I didn't know the place existed, heard of it sort of, but didn't know that it's so lovely. It's like a coffee shop from back home where they have lots of big comfy chairs and tables that you can sit at and eat and drink and yak yak yak. Some of the chairs a little on the ....*ahem* used side but WHAT. EVER! It's Mexico and this place is NICE as far as I'm concearned.

My gal pal and I ate panini's, had coffee and then had CREPES.

OMG.

I never had a crepe before, I always thought they would be omelett-y and therefore ran screaming from them at every chance. My kind friend explained that it's like a thin panckake and my mind said "Excuse me???" "Reeeaaallly???"

Mine was GIGANTIC and stuffed with Nutella, Philladelphia, and fresh strawberries.

Oh. Dear Lord, Praise thy name.

BTW, once you move to Mexico you learn that "cream cheese" no longer exists. There is only "Philladelphia." That is all. AND, the magical "Philladelphia" is a food group. These folks are freakin' bonkers for some cream cheese. Once, at Chirstmas, a students mother and fellow worker at school brought in a dish to pass. She saw me at lunch time and said that I just HAADDD to have some.

I was game of course and wondered what the foot square white block covered in salsa was untill I bit into it. She gave me about a 4 by 4 inch portion and it wasn't a desert. It was a HALF BLOCK of cream cheese covered in a thin veil of salsa. Have you ever tried to eat a HALF BLOCK of cream cheese??? She was RIGHT there watching me. So, with my TWO tortillas I gamely ate it up, every last bite. It was.....well, it was cream cheese. Just, a freakin' LOT of it.

Anyhoo, I can't wait to make a famous Christmas "Cheese Ball" for these folks one of these days. (remember cheese balls???) I'll bring some Ritz crackers and they'll love me probably forever and ever. Aaaaaaaand ever.

Um..... subject, I had a point. Ah yes. ANYWAYS. After we hung out eating like pigs for hours on end it was time to go. Sometime during the evening the owners showed up and they just happened to be the PARENTS of one of my 4th graders. Eeek! Small world! The mom came up to ask how everything was, la dee da ect. Nice lady.

Anyhoo, the mom went back in but the Dad (or so I thought) stayed outside. I recognized him from the school and said "You're So-and-So's Dad right?"


And his response "No."

Just "No."

I stammered mentaly and said "Oh..buhhdubuh...er...but you KNOW him yes?"

The man - "Yes."

Real conversationalist. *silence* *silence* *me staring and mentaly kicking myself in the face*

"Yeah, I haven't seen So-and-So's dad in about 9 years."

"Oh."

OOOhhhhhhh, Ok, and it all sunk in. He's the kids STEP DAD. But just.....fuc***' weird about it.

I couldn't handle any more mental strain and said my polite goodbyes.

Luckily my friend explained to me that parentage is a BIG DEAL here in Mexico.

????

Like, NINE YEARS a big deal?

Sheesh. But, well.....whatever, just...poor kid.

(really????)

14 comments:

Josie said...

This last holiday season I discovered a cranberry jalapeno sauce that you dump over cream cheese and eat it with crackers. It's amazeballs. If you want the recipe let me know.

Zoe said...

You have been so upbeat lately; nice to hear. Crepes have always been my "go to" dessert AND I fill them with Nutella, top them with strawberries and whipped cream. People think you have slaved all day. Crepes filled with shrimp, mushrooms, swiss cheese and spinach for breakfast for dinner...nothing better. Rock on!

gringationcancun said...

Dude, if it's his stepdad, he should have just said "yes" or "I'm his stepdad"... why all the awkwardness?? That's weird even for a Mexican.

And yes, in Cancun they also love "queso Filadelfia". Especially on sushi. Can't have sushi without cream cheese! God bless them.

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Maybe that's what it was??? It was sweet but spicy and red, but there just wasn't ENOUGH of it. I'd love it! :)


Zoe - Z-cuz I'm happy :D And Nooooo NOOO crepes in the house! I can NOT be 600lbs!

Gringa - LOL with an "F" !!! :D bwaaaaaa!!

Lisa n Javi said...

I have not seen anything since I have been here with cream cheese, weird. But how funny, I remember eating chips with a hunk of cream cheese covered in el pato chili back in the states, yum.

I'm the Mami said...

Mmmmmm those crepes sound delish! But cream cheese solo with salsita? Ummmmmm....

:)

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Lisa, aw who knows, maybe it's a northern mexican thing??

Mami - It would be good warm and bubbly! But cold, it was ....ok :)

Gail said...

Yeah, they are weird here about stepdads and stepmoms and weird about ex-spouses too. Years ago, when my (Mexican) husband was telling his mom about how he'd met my (gringo) ex-husband, she got a really worried look on her face and then she asked him, "Did you beat him up?" When he told me this, I was, well, you could say I was in a mild state of culture shock. It was clear that I just didn't "get it." Then hubby explained that in MX you don't EVER plan on meeting your wife's ex-husband, nor do you ever want to, and if you do, it usually never goes down in a civilized way. He said "Yep, we're just that much behind the developed world." Dang, you know? He tried to explain to his mom that in US culture you don't automatically beat up your wife's ex-husband upon being introduced. Instead, you shake his hand and say "Nice to meet you." His mom thought this was really nice, but also very very strange.

Tera said...

HA! Wonder how long it will take for cream of mushroom soup makes it's way into recipes across the border. Americans are pretty Philly Cream Cheese crazy though, very retro recipes too.

Borderline Savage said...

I just found your blog and I'm really enjoying reading it. I used to work with an Irish-American woman who had never left the USA, and she gave me a failsafe recipe for a Superbowl party one year - spread a container of cream cheese on a plate, dump a jar of salsa over it, cover the whole thing with shredded jack cheese and bring to party with tortilla chips. Honestly, it went over better than things that have taken far more effort to cook, though I was doubtful anyone would like it. They practically licked the plate clean, so you never know, such is the power of cream cheese.

Borderline Savage said...

I just found your blog and I'm really enjoying reading it. I used to work with an Irish-American woman who had never left the USA, and she gave me a failsafe recipe for a Superbowl party one year - spread a container of cream cheese on a plate, dump a jar of salsa over it, cover the whole thing with shredded jack cheese and bring to party with tortilla chips. Honestly, it went over better than things that have taken far more effort to cook, though I was doubtful anyone would like it. They practically licked the plate clean, so you never know, such is the power of cream cheese.

Tami said...

So what's the name of the coffee shop you went to? My husband would love to check it out. Going to coffee shops was our think back in Austin.

rareruby315 said...

oh and another thing...the crepes here are freaking awesome! I tried one at the IHOP and blah! Did not compare to the ones here.

Esmerelda777 said...

Ok, I may know part of what StepDad's problem is. Americans ask a lot of questions, right? We have a natural interest in pp and things. This, according to my husband, is not "curiosity", but "Metida" (nosy). A normal question an American would ask, unoffensive to another American, could be perceived as "Metida" by a Latino. After 5+ years of marriage, to this day, my husband still says "Why do you have to KNOW" everything?", even when it's only him I'm asking!